Apple Mac Book Pro Performance Problems
by Ilse Marel
An Apple MacBook (Released 2009)
I have an Apple MacBook that is several years old. I am a designer and use heavy design programs such as Photoshop, Illustrator and other Adobe Creative Suite packages.
I sometimes need to run 2 or 3 of these packages at the same time.
At first my computer was pretty quick, but it slowed down considerably after the second year of usage.
I did a couple of simple things to get it running quickly again. Here they are:
- Secure Empty Trash: Open the Trash Bin. Select the Finder menu, then click the Secure Empty Trash... option
Mac computers store files deleted from the Trash in case you want to recover them. The Secure Empty trash process can take a while because it cleans all deleted files off your computer.
- Move the things you have on your desktop into folders, e.g. downloaded music, movies, applications and documents. You could also include desktop icons if you want
Having a lot of files on the desktop makes it run slower because there are more data files to load when you start your computer up.
- Delete any files that you no longer use
This is a good housekeeping rule to ensure your computer is only storing the files it needs to.
- Defragment the Hard Drive
This is an important step after deleting large amounts of data
- Close down unnecessary applications and widgets
The less you load up, the less work your MacBook needs to do.
- Empty the cache in Safari of temporary browsing files that build up over time
This is also a good housekeeping rule as thousands temporary files can really slow your web browsing down
If the above options don't speed things up enough, you can always put more memory in.
I hope these tips are helpful to everyone!
Head over to the Computer-Help forum for lots of knowledgeable articles by site visitors on all subjects technology-related. Feel free to contribute your thoughts by completing the form, and commenting on existing articles.
Keep up with the latest eComputerZ news and developments
I never share information with third parties and your details are secure. I aim to issue newsletters on the first day of each month.