Reveton Trojan Infection
Metropolitan Police Fraud Message
The Trojan Horse I was hit with is called Trojan:Win32/Reveton.A.METROPOLITAN POLICE Attention! Illegal activity
It is a scary virus that locks up your computer and displays the very disturbing picture on your screen above.
In my case, the first thing I read was:
It looks like it has been sent by the Metropolitan Police and accuses you of looking at illegal material on the Internet.
It goes on to say that to unlock your computer, you must pay a fine of up to £100, and gives you some options for paying this fine online.
Well, I was mortified, shocked and scared. I thought they must be mistaken, I have never been to any of the sorts of sites they are accusing me of.
After I calmed down, I loaded my husbands computer and carried out some research. To my relief, then anger, I found out I was victim to a Ransomware Trojan Horse or Browser Hijacker.
It is fake and if you pay the ransom you are giving your hard earned money to online fraudsters!
I called a friend of mine to help remove this nasty. They researched the virus and followed the instructions below to remove it:
1. Downloaded the GridinSoft Trojan Killer
installation file to a USB Stick
2. Inserted the USB Stick into my computer
3. Switched my computer on (It was switched off at the time)
4. Continually hit the F8 key on the keyboard until he got the boot menu on screen. He then booted my computer up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt
5. At the Command Prompt, he typed the word explorer and pressed the Enter Key
6. He then expanded My Computer and navigated to the USB drive
7. He ran the GridinSoft Trojan Killer install file from the USB Pen
8. The Trojan removal software identified the files for this Ransomware and removed it from my computer
9. My friend then typed shutdown /r /t 0 then pressed the Return Key
10. when my computer restarted, it worked perfectly, to my relief!
I was so paranoid of getting this virus again, I bought a licence for GridinSoft Trojan Killer and ran it again after the updates were applied.
It found more files for this Trojan, which thankfully were also removed. I checked my computer and didn't find any of my files missing.
Virus writers do not have a moral bone in their body. To me, it looks like pure greed motivates them. They may as well rob you in the street!
The law needs to be more strictly applied to stop this form of fraud. I dread to think how much money they have made from this. It is sickening!!